Sunday, January 10, 2010

Day 10- flashback

{10:365}

I spent a lot of my childhood with my great Aunt and Uncle. My mom lived the closest to her out of the entire family and since she was my mom's aunt, my Grandma's sister. They were elderly and she was legally blind and had a few health issues. We would do things like take them to the store, help fill out their medical paperwork, well my mom did those things. I was just a kid so for me, it was just going to spend time with them.

Every single memory I have as a kid pretty much involves them. They didn't have any money but were richer than most. I called him tata, he was old military and even had the hula girl tattoo on his forearm. I remember one time I was crying and I went outside and he asked why I was crying, who knows what I got in trouble for, but he told me "TC!! you stop your crying, do not grow up to be a cry baby, you be strong" lol, I took him to heart, I never cried much after that, I did let out a few silent tears at his funeral when they did the gun solute and they folded up the flag.

My Tia (aunt in Spanish) was amazing, like I said they didn't have money, like none but wow, I remember being so spoiled by her. I had my own set of coloring books and crayons in her room, I had my own shelf in her kitchen with treats my mom would NEVER let me have. she hung up my artwork I did at school and displayed it like it was a Picasso. Every holiday I got something, even if it was a little card, 5.00 or candy. I spent every Sunday there after church, so I either sat and watched baseball, soccer, or football with her. She new more stats than anyone I have ever met.

I knew that when I grew up and It would be my turn to be an Aunt, I would be just like her. I learned that you don't have to spend or give money or things of monetary value but your time and your attention to be a loving person. I am so grateful I learned that lesson early on in life and I would have to say, I'm a pretty damn good Auntie.

Sadly My Great Aunt passed away in 1998, she will forever live in my heart. This summer her daughter called me and asked if I wanted her sewing machine, I was honored and went down to pick it up. I haven't found its permanent spot in my house yet, and it needs some cleaning up, My mom and I are going to sand down the wood, and have it all cleaned up.

Today in my 365 flickr group, we had a mini challenge called flashback, so here is my 365 pic and my idea of flashback.

1 comment:

  1. wow, my nan then my mum had the same sowing machine, it weighed a ton and its still going today! You also have told a beautiful story, thank you for sharing it, it has made me think thats fore sure.

    Hope you are taking care.

    Si

    ReplyDelete