Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Day 48- giving of yourself

{48:365} Volunteer
Today was my day to volunteer for Habitat for Humanity. Its an organization I have always wanted to do things with, but had never done it, til now. When the opportunity came up, I knew I had to do it.

I firmly believe in giving yourself to help others. I don't know where it comes from, I just know that since I was a little girl, I knew my calling in life was to help those in need. I sometimes feel that I am not answering that calling like I should be.

I know at one point in my life I plan on going to another country and helping. Its not something I can do at this time, but I know I will not be at peace with myself until I do.

I believe that we should take care of our own before we take care of others. I think helping out in your own community is very important. I grew up in a very affluent city and county and I did not have the struggles others have. by all means, I was not at all born with a silver spoon in my mouth. I was poor compared to most of my friends, but I was NOT poor. I didn't know what poor was until I visited Mexico for the first time at age 5. It was then when I knew I had to help others in any way I can. For me its not financially possible for me to give money at this time, but I am very capable of giving my time and talents.

Recently I found it disgusting and disturbing with some facebook posts when Haiti was hit with the earthquake. I couldn't believe that there were people saying we shouldn't help them, that what about our own country. I, of course don't sit and keep my mouth shut and my response was, do you even help your own? if you don't then please shut the fuck up. Like I said, I think we need to help our own first, but there are humans that are out there that need help too. To turn your back or close your eyes on any human suffering is in my opinion showing what kind of person you are, and I hope to those, you never experience suffering.

Since I now live in a very different part of my state, I see kid in need every day. I work with children that don't have heat, new clothes, school supplies. I live where we have migrant farm workers. Who came here to make a better life and are trying to give that to their children. I have dedicated many hours to help my city and the people living in it. I hope that I have made a difference in this world.

Ok, getting off my soapbox now. :) but before I do.....if at all you feel the desire or have thought it would be nice to "one day" help out in some way, don't just think about it. do it. helping can be done in many ways. be giving, trust me when I say....its very rewarding.

ok really off my soapbox NOW! hahaha

1 comment: