Thursday, March 4, 2010

Day 63- Bibliophile

{63:365} bibliophile




yes, that is the definition of me. I am a book lover. I have been since I was a baby.

I don't know what brought on my love of reading but its something that as always been with me. I will never forget in the 4th grade when we did our testing, I tested to be reading at the 7th grade level. I think it might have had something to do with my mom. She read to me since I was little. We would discuss the book, then when I was old enough to read on my own, I would still tell her all about them.

Also when I was about 11 years old my mom went back to college and I started to read her books, so there I was in the 6th grade already reading books that were above my level by many years.

I read all kinds of books, no romance books, sorry I just think those are LAME! lol but I have been known to read chic lit, and I am totally ok with that. I know there are these cool and fancy book reader gadgets and crap, but you will not catch me with one of those in my hand. I am a book purist. I love the feel and smell of a brand new book in my hands. I do think the cool feature of the nook and others, is that you can make the text larger! haha I am half blind when I read so that is the only thing I think is cool but other than that....take your nook and shove it! nah, I know they are neat and great for some, just not for me :)

My long time running favorites:
1. East Of Eden by John Steinbeck
2. 100 years of solitude by Gabriel García Márquez
3. Like Water for chocolate by Laura Esquivel
4. The lovely bones by Alice Sebold
5. Old bones ( this is just sentimental)

The reason Old Bones is on there, I when I was 8 I got really sick, I had to stay out of school for 2 weeks. My little friend came over one day with a get well basket, it was filled with all sorts of stuff and she put in there her copy of Old bones, I read it twice that week, and I even read it out loud to my mom. I had that book until I was 21 then my sweet little brother and his friends decided to take a bunch of my books and my baby blankets and have a little picnic...uh yeah, it rained and he left all my stuff because it was a total down poor. :( I never saw my special books and blankets ever again.

Fast Forward to the year 1998. On Christmas eve we opened our presents and what did I open?, an old copy of Old Bones, My husband tracked a copy down from the other side of the U.S. I was speechless. I couldn't believe he remembered me telling him about that book. I cherish that book til this very day.

1 comment:

  1. Fantastic. I have stacks of books like this. They are all sadlyt hidden in the attic though.

    ReplyDelete